Pages

13 February 2014

:: v-tines are for losers ::

let me 'splain.
too long. let me sum up.
ever seen that bumper sticker, "virginia is for lovers"? well, it is easily mis-seen and has thus become a family joke: "[insert here] is for losers lovers!" I really wasn't being a hater.

personally, I am not hugely into the 14th of february as a holiday. maybe because I don't have a better half? …maybe because I never have, and indifference is my revenge? (geez, I really am a hater.) my favorite celebration of it, ever, was making cookies in the afternoon and eating them at night while watching the twilight zone.

que romantico!

but I'm willing to get in the spirit of things, and as part of the festivities, I'm stuffing my face with chocolate doing a valentine's day link-up. this is so much fun, I'd suggest you go to jessica grayson's blog and do it, too.

so. without further ado, silly songs with *ahem*. moving on.

what book do I love that everyone else seems to hate?
a separate peace. it was an impressively narrated, heartbreaking story that revealed a lot of truth about the human heart. I loved it and I reread it and it makes me cry every time (that was one of the top three "hangover" books I've read in my lifetime. the other two are shining company and return of the king). but nobody else seems to appreciate it the way I do!

what book does everyone else love that I don't?
don quixote. not that everyone else seriously loves it, but why is it a classic? I probably have an uncultured mind, is all. oh well.

love in books -- love it or hate it?
done well, I love it. a quarter of the way through any jane austen (persuasion. be still, my beating heart) I'm practically begging for a couple. or dickens (our mutual friend! nicholas nickleby! bleak house!). there have been quite a few books I've read, though, that have handled romance so clumsily I've laughed at them in embarrassment -- pick any YA novel, seriously. gregor the overlander. the unwanteds. ("WHO…says…that?!")

favorite friendship, brother- or sisterhood 
1. justin and flavius or the mac clydno brothers
2. arthur (lord godalming), quincey morris, dr. seward, jonathan and mina harker
3. clive and ann
4. the penderwick sisters
5. pip and merry

I ship couples when I read. (and some of my favorites -- that sailed, or didn't.)
I actually still have a paper on which I progressively shipped while reading war & peace… I kind of totally called it. well, by the end. and what about andrei and sonya? ANDREI AND SONYA. do you feel me, here??? ann and major merrion in the merriweather chronicles. it didn't happen hasn't happened yet, but IT WILL. also drem and blai. charlie and rose. beatrice and benedict. cynan and niamh, for heaven's sake!

I still exchange valentines.
mainly with my family. this year I might branch out, because I'll be "celebrating" with friends this friday (haha, watching gregory peck and audrey hepburn and cary grant. what better way to celebrate loooooove?).

favorite valentine gift:
chocolate. ghirardelli 60% cacao.

personal views on valentine's day?
they were kind of laid out up there. I'm pretty 'whatever' about it. I don't really care about getting roses and candy -- well, no, candy's good -- as a way of showing love. hallmark cards are totally meh. I'd be a huge proponent if my love interest was into it, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather a day off to read :)

favorite sweet read?
hope was here. walk two moons. iron peacock.

favorite fairytale and why?
I love the one about the prince of denmark-turned-shepherd who gets the princess to love him by being kind to her. it's a roundabout way: first he tricks her into marrying him and then gives her tasks to do which she fails at (being a helpless princess), but he isn't upset with her -- she ends up saying she'd rather live in their hovel with him than be princess. except that he turns out to be prince, so she gets the best of both. I've loved it ever since I can remember.

favorite romantic gesture in a book?
when ness puts her hands on aquila's shoulders. I feel like crying every time. or sydney carton, putting the rag over charles darnay's face. I do cry every time. pat saying, "my lamb, what on earth is the matter?" and letting peggy cry on his shoulder and use his handkerchief ("not that handkerchief, you idiot! I've been using it to wipe down the windscreen. this one!"). of course, sheftu's public claim of mara's loyalty: "whatever bargain we make, daughter of the sun, must include her freedom." *fans self*

AND. after marguerite bites through the rope around sir percy's wrists, when he carries her back to the ship -- because her feet are so bruised and cut from following him so far.

favorite romantic movie?
princess bride and singin' in the rain are obviously going to rate pretty high, but I think my absolute favorite is roman holiday. which is ironic, considering the end, but their parting is such sweet sorrow that… oh, and now I'm quoting shakespeare. better stop.

my favorite literary couple
that's just mean. I can't stick to one answer when it's merely "favorite romantic gesture", are you kidding? probably, though, if my life depended on picking it… oh gosh. I'll just say one of my favorites, okay? jessica and lorenzo. they are adorable and hilarious. I want to marry a guy just like him when I grow up. x)

favorite opinion about love from a character
"I really don't see anything romantic in proposing. It is very romantic to be in love. But there is nothing romantic about a definite proposal. Why, one may be accepted. One usually is, I believe. Then the excitement is all over. The very essence of romance is uncertainty. If I ever get married, I'll certainly try to forget the fact."

favorite quote about love
actually, you'll just have to wait until the 14th for this one. ("one"? who am I kidding. you'll have to wait for those. plural.) but they'll be good, I promise.

have fun anticipating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

by all means, leave a comment if you have something to share! please keep your language clean, respectful, and polite.

staying on topic would be nice, too, but I know that can be hard sometimes.