Pages

21 October 2013

:: let's read some dickens ::

october is the perfect time to read.
        the weather is cool enough for hot drinks.
        the trees are gorgeous.
        poetry becomes more beautiful.

I understand that while I am, quite unusually, not in school and have uncommon free time, others are struggling with october's concrete reality of school hitting like a ton of bricks (or should that be "a ton of cinderblocks"?). that said, you have to take a break sometime, and how better to spend it but improving your mind with extensive reading? ...words of wisdom from mr. darcy. whaaaat. *ahem*


what to do with the time you take off to rest your brain from all that schoolwork -- when the tea is steeped and the cookies are out of the oven? come do a read-a-long with me! I'm reading oliver twist, by charles dickens, and I'll try to do a recap of what I read every few days. this brilliant idea occurred to me today, so I've actually already read the first eight chapters; tomorrow I'll try to give some general thoughts before really starting.


oh, man, I'm so excited. I haven't read this book in a very long time -- but this was my first real dickens, what smacked me over the head with the realization: good literature isn't that bad! ...ha ha. I know, right.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Oliver twist yet. Next year, maybe....

    I set myself a personal challenge at the beginning of the year to read five Dickens. I've only read two, so far. *coughcough* That means, in order to fulfill the challenge, I have to read 3 Dickens in the next 2+ months. Our Mutual Friend, Little Dorrit and The Pickwick Papers are the books on the list. :D (I'm crazy, I know.)

    I have too much going on to be able to recap the books, but I will eventually post reviews of them.

    Have fun reading and recapping! I look forward to reading the posts.

    Oh, and I haven't forgotten about emailing you back. It is just taking me a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no worries! take your time :)

    your reading plan sounds great, though. OMF is spectacular -- probably my favorite dickens of all time. when you do read and recap, I will definitely read your posts. I love hearing other people's input on my favorites!

    and good luck with the timeline you have going there :)

    ReplyDelete

by all means, leave a comment if you have something to share! please keep your language clean, respectful, and polite.

staying on topic would be nice, too, but I know that can be hard sometimes.