Pages

28 October 2013

:: lots of quotes (chs. 17-24) ::

there are three varying-truth styles of narration that I've noticed in OT: the heavily sarcastic descriptions of mr. bumble (and the 'parochial institutions'); sly, veiled references to pickpockets, housebreakers, and prostitutes, without ever using those words; and the transparent language used of and by mr. brownlow & household. it adds so much to the feel: the self-deceiving, hypocritical, self-righteous mr. bumble and co., the suspicious, underhanded speech and dealings of london's criminal sector, and the upright, trusting, righteousness of the well-off gentleman and his family.
         The Jew rubbed his hands; and, sitting down at the table, affected to laugh at the pleasantry of his friend. He was obviously very ill at ease, however. ... 'Stow that gammon,' interposed the robber, impatiently. ... 'Don't put on an injured look at the question; you've done it many a time. Jerk the tinkler.'
(even the criminal argot adds a layer deceitfulness to their speech. isn't that fabulous?)

(mr. brownlow:) 

       'I have been deceived, before, in the objects whom I have endeavoured to benefit; but I feel strongly disposed to trust you, nevertheless; and I am more interested in your behalf than I can well account for, even to myself. The persons on whom I have bestowed my dearest love lie deep in their graves; but, although the happiness and delight of my life lie buried there too, I have not made a coffin of my heart, and sealed it up, for ever, on my best affections. Deep affliction has but strengthened and refined them.'
you're already familiar with mr. bumble (excuse me while I gag) so I'll spare you further examples, though hypocrisy -- or in a broader way, pretending to be what you are not -- is a big part of this book. mrs. mann pretends concern for her wards. fagin sucks up to/tolerates sikes. nancy hides her softer side. mrs. corney fakes sweetness. mr. bumble [insert action here]. later on, between monks and noah claypole, no one is what they say they are; even some unsuspecting good guys suddenly have new identities. ...or maybe I'm the unsuspecting one.
   further (and sad) insight into hypocritical people:
        'He's an out-and-out Christian,' said Charley.        This was merely intended as a tribute to the animal's abilities, but it was an appropriate remark in another sense, if Master Bates had only known it; for there are a great many ladies and gentlemen, claiming to be out-and-out Christians, between whom, and Mr. Sikes's dog, there exist strong and singular points of resemblance.
to get back to the plot -- the end of chapter 24 is mysterious, sad, suspenseful, and unsettling ("hovering"? gross). what better way to end this post, hmm?
        'Stone dead!' said one of the old women, hurrying in, as soon as the door was opened.        'And nothing to tell, after all,' rejoined the matron, walking carelessly away.        The two crones, to all appearance, too busily occupied in the preparations for their dreadful duties to make any reply, were left alone: hovering about the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

by all means, leave a comment if you have something to share! please keep your language clean, respectful, and polite.

staying on topic would be nice, too, but I know that can be hard sometimes.