Pages

02 May 2015

:: supes adorbs ::

last post, I mentioned that there was an adorable part of mansfield park that I'd missed before. basically, I love when you get to see growing affection between two estranged/separated characters -- ships or sibs or whomever, when you like them both and want them to be happy. (ahem marianne&brandon ahem)
   I never liked the sudden denouement of mansfield park (pardon my french, it just seemed to fit), but then I found this one little paragraph that softened my attitude somewhat.

it's the last chapter: the author quits such odious subjects as guilt and misery and restores everybody not greatly in fault to tolerable comfort, while having done with all the rest.
Here was comfort indeed! and quite as soon as Sir Thomas could place dependence on such sources of good, Edmund was contributing to his father's ease by improvement in the only point in which he had given him pain before -- improvement in his spirits. After wandering about and sitting under trees with Fanny all the summer evenings, he had so well talked his mind into submission, as to be very tolerably cheerful again.
edmund. and fanny. wandering about and sitting under trees on summer evenings. how sweet is that?? and how utterly conducive to a romance! it doesn't wholly satisfy my longing for a nice bang-up "you have borne it as no other woman in england would have borne it, dearest, loveliest fanny, for you alone I think and plan, and I am bound to you as much in honor as in affection and please come live at combe magna with me" speech... but then, one can't have everything.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

by all means, leave a comment if you have something to share! please keep your language clean, respectful, and polite.

staying on topic would be nice, too, but I know that can be hard sometimes.