Pages

11 December 2013

:: this is depressing, don't read it ::

in my real life, I've been kind of down. I know it only really surfaced in the last post, but... yeah. 

I've been writing all this sad poetry and stuff, partly because that's what heroines in books do, and I'm doing my best to be a heroine (a la northanger abbey, chapter one). ...it's pretty weird when you think about it, so don't think about it.


I cannot seem to find anyone else who is interested in what I am interested in. old books. dead english people. yes, there are some interesting/fabulous blogs out there about similar things -- the victorian era, or books in general, or old things -- but none of them are what I'm looking for. people then have some quirk: "I WILL READ NOTHING BUT FANTASY" or "I've watched every single period drama out there and now I will tell you about them" or "let's talk about the one musical to rule them all LES MISERABLES and the other one PHANTOM and the other one WICKED and now let's shriek like agoraphobic lobsters". 

   DON'T GET ME WRONG. it's not that I don't have those moments (except the fantasy one. I don't really enjoy fantasy.) (okay, and I don't really love period dramas; some, but I've only seen a few.) (...I guess that leaves... one... category. awkward). it's that I like to discuss things, and as great as this blog has been for airing my opinions, it's hard to have a one-way discussion. 

I'll just admit it. I was hoping to stumble across/get stumbled upon by someone who liked the same things I do, and we'd connect. like, you like dickens, I like dickens, shall we discuss the character development of dora spenlow while quoting our favorite lawyer eugene wrayburn? but that hasn't happened.


and the upshot of all this long-windedness is... I'm lonely. 

   loneliness does not lend itself to dynamic writing. if my posts are falling a little flat, I'm sorry. I don't feel carbonated any more. ...when your stupid jokes are so stupid they're just stupid, that's when you stop. I'm stopping.

I'll be back ...probably... when I'm feeling a little less cranky. bah humbug.   

3 comments:

  1. Poor Deryn!
    I love discussing things too, so you found someone;). I love Charles Dickens too, but you already knew that;). I really enjoyed reading all of your posts on Oliver Twist. Remember, if your lonely, I'm here to talk:). I might not always be available, but I will always get back to you:). You're busy... You know how it is;).
    Talk to you soon!
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, I'm sorry you're feeling that way!!!

    I'm happy to discuss Dickens and etc with you anytime, although I haven't read a LOT of him yet. I did read David Copperfield and found Dora a very interesting character.

    Have you read any of Anthony Trollope's books? I just finished one of his and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he's on my list of to-read, if you can believe it. for someone who claims to like old books, there are a few too many authors I haven't touched :p which one did you read?

    ReplyDelete

by all means, leave a comment if you have something to share! please keep your language clean, respectful, and polite.

staying on topic would be nice, too, but I know that can be hard sometimes.